Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Distractions....

So, let's just be honest......I suck at keeping my blog up to date. Lol. I guess I feel as though I have so much going on in my daily life that I don't find myself sitting at my desktop much. I'd rather have tea parties with my girls, ride horses, read a good book, play games with friends, spend time outdoors, etc. Seems as though there are a million things I could be doing at any given time. Lately we have been getting ready for the 3rd annual Ross Churman Memorial Roping. It's a roping that was started in my father in law's memory. He passed away in Jan. 2010. Check out our website at: http://rosschurmanmemorialroping.com/# or find us on Facebook to see what we're all about. It's always the 2nd weekend in Sept. and has been a great roping thus far.

Anyway, other than that I've been continuing to work on my book. Some weeks are easier than others when it comes to writing. Overall, I'm excited and beginning to let myself actually feel some of that excitement! I'm a big 'don't count your chickens before they hatch' kinda gal. I keep  having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that there are folks out there who would want to read what I write....but apparently there are :) God willing, the book will be out this winter.

As for my hearing implants...........they only get better as the days go by! I'm still adjusting to having 2 though, and I do find myself tiring easily on some days. Bless my kids hearts....they can be loud! Being in places where there are tons of people or noises tends to overwhelm me, but I'm still elated that I can actually function and take part in situations like that. I keep having people ask me if I still read lips, and the answer is....I forget a lot but I'm trying to keep it up just because I think it's a good skill set to have. I have started to not use captioning on TV and movies to put my ears to good use and practice actually hearing words spoken instead of cheating and reading them. I haven't used the captioning device at the movies in a while, and that's been nice too. I still have many moments where I'll be talking to someone and they'll pause mid story and be like "You are totally hearing me right now aren't you?!?" Lol. It sounds crazy, but I forget sometimes that I haven't always heard like this. Just goes to show how easily we forget.

Hope everyone has a great week,

Sarah <3

7 comments:

  1. You story is fascinating. I can't imagine what it must be like to gain a whole sense. I suppose you may never see this comment, but if you do, I've been curious about something since seeing your youtube video: Were you born deaf? If so, how were you able to understand spoken English once you received the implant?

    Very happy for you! Always glad to read your updates! :) And lip-reading is definitely a useful skill. Don't lose that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen your video a few times :) it makes me happy. I was born deaf in one ear. And Thursday I go to get some testing done. Congrats. Even though its been a while since you got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah:

    Just heard your piece on NPR rebroadcast and looked online to see if you had the other ear turned on. Congratulations! I'm a musician and hearing your story reminded me of how rich sound and music can be, we are given so many gifts in life, it is easy to take them for granted. I'm pleased to hear that you're writing.
    I too am curious about hearing speech for the first time (as per Raz's comment)
    Bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I listened to your interview on "The Story", I checked out the YouTube piece. I am not a sensitive guy by all means but I must admit that I got teary eyed when I saw your first reaction.

    Wish you all the best!

    By the way, you look real hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey sarah, i watched ur video a year ago and i got so teary. your story is amazing, ur friends and family are amazing. i never knew about this blog, and today i decided to watch your video again, dont know why...but i watched, and then i watched the other one, the stereo one (haha), and wowwwwwwww. im super happy for you!!!!after watching ur second video i found this blog, and read all your posts today hahaha. and ...i dont have words to describe how awesome was reading your description about the firsts sounds u heard. made me think of how we dont pay attention to the simple and wonderful things that God created!how wonderful is the world? im sad tho that are people who cant hear the sound of a bird, or rain! i hope one day they can, just like u could. we have to enjoy this beautiful life, the beautiful colors and sounds we can see and hear. it just makes the world more beautiful. i have to ask u sorry bout my english, im from Brazil, ...and one more thing...now that you have stereo sound (ha), may i suggest u a song that u HAVE to listen? i would suggest that u put on these professional earphones to listen to this song, (or watevs songs u like), but im aware that u are just getting use to ur new ears rite? but one day u should experience something like that, or these 3d cinemas with earphones and 3d sounds (3d sounds? hahaha). its great. but for now, ill suggest u only a link to hear normally the best song int he world, (for me...i think there's nothing much bout this song, but for me....awww i dont know), so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVHVvbnmgjM (and if i may suggest u another thing, u should listen to elliott smith too, its calm, and i know to much noise is a little overwhelming for u). anyways, i wish only the best for u and your family. u are great!!! keep posting!!no need to be everyday cuz...u have a life hhaha, but keep posting when u can!! best wisheeeeeeees and greetings from brazil. Eloah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (oh i should say something about the song: u have to interpretate the lyrics bout a girl,and jut make u happY)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I am omna madnani. I need you may help me? Before u had deaf now u became a hearing but how. Pls help me remove deafness..

    ReplyDelete